Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day #24: Bonding Experiences

   I realize it has been a little while since I last wrote. The reason, or my excuse, is because I have started watching One Tree Hill again and have become absolutely obsessed... again. It's sad, I know, that I am obsessed with an American tv show while I'm in France, but I really can't help myself. However, I haven't watched an episode since Friday night, so I would say I'm doing pretty good. Apart from reuniting with my favorite show, last week was still pretty good. I heard a guest speaker talk about the Arabian Spring Wednesday, and went on a picnic with the French Honors Program on Thursday.

   On Friday, since I don't have any classes, I was able to spend the day hiking with a group of 10 others IAUers. The initial intention was to hike St. Victoire, but unfortunately we went the wrong way on the trail, which led us around the opposite side of a reservoir. Sure, I wanted to hike the mountain, but I'm really glad we got lost. We ended up staking down on some rocks by the water and ate a picnic which consisted mainly of bread, cheese, and wine, among a few other things. It was amazing. The beauty of God's creation is breath-taking. The evergreens and the clearness of the sky slightly reminded me of my dear New Mexico. But the water was a different story. I though the Mediterranean was blue, but it doesn't even compare. I think God did a pretty good job making this world, from what I've seen. ;) To add to the beauty of the place, I was surrounded by good company, which always makes everything seem better. I really enjoyed getting to know everyone a little more. Mackenzie and I took a dip in the water (of course), as we did in Cannes. Being the adrenalin junky that I am, I had to make the frigid 15ft. plunge from the rocks, as Mackenzie eased in at the bank. We decided that we're going to see how many random places we can swim in our underwear over the course of the semester. Later that evening, after everyone washed up from the hike, and ate dinner at their various host homes, we all reunited to chill and sip cheap wine on the steps of the Grand Theatre.
Me and Martin
 Picnic!
Me and Mackenzie
The group :]

   My host family left on Friday night to camp for the weekend, leaving me alone in the house. Marion kept telling me over and over again that I could have a couple friends over for dinner and a movie, so I decided to take her up on that offer. On Saturday, I invited about seven people to come cook dinner with me, but only four came. As it turns out, four was just perfect. We made pasta with olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and a bunch of random French spices all mixed together. And of course you can't forget the salad, cheese, bread, and wine. After dinner, I brewed up some coffee. So there we were, sipping coffee, listening to music, making great conversation, and having many a great laughs. I couldn't help but be reminded of that summer in New Mexico. But great times we had there. I'm so thankful that I can make the same kind of precious memories in France, with the people here. God is good!

   Sunday I was able to step my French speaking skills up a notch when I went to church with Martin, and then to a church picnic afterwards. The thing about the French, is that they don't just eat and pack up and leave. Oh no. They will sit and talk for hours, and I mean hours after a meal. We left just after 2pm, and they were still goin' strong. But it was really good. Sunday evening, we went to ICCP which is the American church in Aix. It was nice to understand everything the preacher was saying, and be able to sing all the songs. Unfortunately, I was dozing off for half the message, as my stomach digested the big lunch we had eaten just hours before. I'm hoping to get plugged into ICCP; maybe help out with the youth and kids ministry? I'm not sure yet. It's definitely something to pray about this week.

   At church I was expecting to be overwhelmed with relief a the fact that I was at church. However, I really wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the corporate worship and being surrounded by other Believers, but it struck me that I didn't need to be there in order to get my "God fix". He has been so gracious by revealing Himself to me everyday as I sit alone reading His Word or even just walking down the street listening to my ipod. I am overwhelmed, not by His presence in the church building, but by His presence in my daily life. He is drowning me in peace about being here and away from the work He's doing at school. My heart rejoices with my new brothers and sisters that are being added to the Kingdom everyday, but at the same time, I know I am to be here, in Aix, with these people. I do not know how He will use me, or if I will ever know, but I trust that there is purpose. All I know is that I am falling madly and deeply in love with Jesus Christ. He is the only source of my joy, my peace. It's funny because the past couple days, I have been struggling with things that I've never been fully healed from; things that, when they rise up in my heart, consume my every thought and emotion, dampening and burdening my spirit. But the funny part is, this time is so different. The struggles are the same, and they hurt just as bad, but I am not consumed by them. I am consumed by my Lord. I feel closer to Him than I've ever felt before, and for the first time, I can see that He is bigger. I know not how to boast in this weakness, or how He could possibly glorify Himself through it. But I will believe...

You are strong enough in my weakness
God be lifted up, and I will sing
Lift Your praises high
Lord, be magnified
You make all thing new
I will believe...

   Before I peace out, I forgot to tell you about today! For the French Honors Program, instead of seminar, we went to a chocolate store/factory and got to try out some fresh goodies. I love that I can say that's what I did in class today. :]

   Continuing to pray for boldness to live and proclaim the Gospel. Strength to rest in God's reassuring love and affirmation. Healing from lies of the enemy that have crippled areas of my heart. And love and passion for those who need my Lord...

Therefore, they are before the throne of  God, and serve Him day and night in His temple; and He who sits on the throne will shelter them with His presence... (Revelation 7:15)


And then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. (27)And then He will send out the angels and gather His elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven. (31)Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away. (Mark 13:26-27,31)


Peace and Love,
-B


2 comments:

  1. breathtaking entry brenna:) i miss you& love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Brenna. God is using you in such beautiful ways. Love you & miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete