Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day #1

For a first day, today wasn't half bad. My French is suuper rusty, just as I feared. Prior to coming here, I was trying to be optimistic by allowing myself to believe that I would be able to jump right in and speak French to everyone. Yeah, that didn't exactly happen. My housemate, Cleo, who is not a French major I might add, is better the language than I am and speaks to our host family more. But I'll get there, I'm sure. I'm determined to learn as much and experience as much as I can of the culture and language. My host family is really nice. They are so interesting. Each seems to have an opinion about every topic, whether that be the type of cheese they prefer, the city they live in, or religion. From what I have heard, they are, for the most part, agnostic, as is my housemate. It's odd leaving my tight knit community of radical Believers to coming here where no one really cares at all. Sometimes I find I have nothing to say that they would be interested in or could relate to because nearly every aspect of my person is drenched in love for Christ. I never realized I was like that until now, I guess. But there is a reason, a specific reason why THESE are the people I am surrounded by for the next 4 months. I pray for strength and boldness. I feel a little lonely, but not alone. I trust and believe that I'm not alone. This semester will be an adventure on a much deeper level than simply being an ocean away from home. I'm excited to see how my Lord uses me, changes me, and draws me close to Him. It's me and Him time. :]

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment