Sunday, August 26, 2012

Times a changin'

     Transition. Change. Say good-bye to comfort, safety, and security. Life has a funny way of keeping us constantly on our toes by shifting things every so often. As soon as I get used to one situation, place, group of people, the tides of change come around once again and I am thrown into a spiral of fear, excitement, anxiety, anticipation, along with a whole slew of other conflicting emotions. As much as we say we love change, we are creatures of habit. We dread change. Even still, it ambushes us on the daily and we act as though we have never encountered it before. As of late, I have been made fully aware of the huge changes and transitions that are happening all around me. My pastor and his family at home just moved to Seattle. I moved to Tahoe. The pastor at the church I am serving here in Tahoe is retiring and the new pastor arrives next month. Each of the women I work with are recent college graduates and are dealing with this time of limbo before they get started on grad school, or whatever it is they might have next. Even this city is in a constant state of transition from one tourist season to the next.

     Transition. Change. What do we do with it? But then again, where would we be without it? If God left us alone in our every-day state of comfortable complacency, we would never grow into better people, better Christians. If Christ had stayed in Heaven, we never would have known the life and magnificent joy of being in communion with Him. So as much as it sucks and kicks our butt, thank You, Abba, for change! Thank you for breaking us apart and forcing us to rely on You in our discomfort! And thank You for the opportunity You give us each day to grow and serve in the transitions we face!

     I am blown away by the sovereignty of my Lord. As I was looking into internships to do for the missions minor, Tahoe City was not even on my radar. I was dead-set on going to Haiti and speaking French and playing with little Haitian children. Well. The only thing I got right was the children part of that plan! Here I am, after months of watching God's will unfold. How ordained this time is! I am so blessed to serve with the other missionaries and staffers here. Each of us were brought here specifically by God. I am stoked to see what He has in store for the up-coming four months! It is hard to believe I left Atlanta nearly two weeks ago. Time has definitely flown by! Tomorrow we have two more days of full-day programs for grades K-6th, then school starts Wednesday, and we start the after-school programs. I have been assigned the Kindergarten class, and have been able to work with them this past week. I am rapidly falling in love with those sweet, mischievous, naughty, adorable babies. I know I am not supposed to have "favorites," but I definitely do. Though I will treat and love each the same, there are a couple who have nabbed my heart more than the others. How I hope and pray the love of Jesus will pour out of me into their little hearts!

     Until next time!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment