Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day #42: Time to Work


   So it has been a good little while since my last post. Life here is gradually getting busier, and the days shorter. I have three midterms smooched together in this up-coming week, and a paper due the next. But I can't really complain, because though these next two weeks might kill me, the rest of this semester has been pretty much like a vacation thus far. These past 2 weeks since my last post have been rather interesting. Things have definitely been shaken up, but not at all in the way that I had expected or even hoped for. God has a funny way of changing the pace of things and teaching us lessons, for sure.

   On October 5th, I had the opportunity to see "Octopus", la spectacle de danse at Le Grand Theatre. I love dance, so I was rather excited about this. And boy, was it interesting!! I don't think there is anything like this in the States, unless maybe in LasVegas or something, as the female dancers were topless for at least half of the performance. Even still, it was clearly a work of art, from the dancers, to the special effects, to the music. On Saturday, October 8th, I was planning on going to Arles with a small group of friends, but I woke up too late and missed to bus, so I ended up hanging out at the house for the day. I had a delicious lunch of ratatouille over pasta with my host family and a couple of their friends. Luckily, I was able to go to Arles with my host mom's friend, Regina, whom I had previously met when I first came to Aix. She was going there to visit her daughter and offered to take me along so I could see the city. Well, she didn't exactly offer.. Marion asked if she would take me, and she graciously agreed.

   So on Sunday, October 9th, I loaded up in the car and headed to Arles. I had the opportunity to practice my French quite a bit, and Regina was very encouraging and told me that my French had progressed a lot since the beginning of the semester. Upon arriving in Arles, I had coffee and a little snack with Regina and her daughter, Leah, then they gave me a map and set me loose in the city until lunch. I loved it! It was a little chilly and very windy, since it is located on the great Rhone River. The city was a huge Roman settlement, so there are many ancient ruins scattered all about. Seeing as how I am slightly obsessed with the Roman time period, I was fascinated! In the centre ville there is an old arena that has been transformed into an amphitheater. I didn't have the money to tour the inside, but I walked all the way around the outside and took about 20 pictures of the same thing! Aaahhh I loved it. It's beautiful and so big! I'm amazed that 2 thousand years ago it was a place where real live gladiators faught! Okay, enough of my nerdiness... After my little tour of the city that I loved so much, I returned to Leah's little flat for lunch. After eating and warming up with a cup of coffee, Regina took us to a museum of other findings of the Roman world from the river and around the city. Again, I was absolutely in my element. The tour was in French, so I had to pay lots of attention to understand, but I didn't mind. I think I would have been just as attentive if it had been in English!



 My favorite little street that I found :]



The Rhone

   This week in school was pretty busy. I had homework due nearly every day, and midterm on Wednesday. Tuesday was the celebration of four IAUers, all of whom were turning 21. So of course, the festivities included ladies night (many of the bars and nightclubs are free for  females on Tuesdays, which ended up being oddly convenient). I had my first (and last!) shot with Andy at midnight to kick-off her new year of legal drinking. It was interesting, to say the least. I was so scared that I drank it so fast that they couldn't even get a picture of it! I must say, though, ladies night and midnight shots will not be among my normal, weekly activities. I don't need to be in that atmosphere with those temptations on a regular basis without accountability to keep me straight and wise. On a brighter note, I am thankful for my friends here and am glad to have helped celebrate their birthdays. :)
 Mackenzie and me
Andy's traditional birthday shot
Happy Birthday, Andy!! 
   
   I went to the American church college group on Wednesday night, which was wonderful. I really, really needed that. It was so good to worship with my brothers and sisters, and actually sing out loud to my Lord. Again, I really, really needed that. I have been pretty discouraged over the past couple of weeks. My soul has ached for fellowship and I didn't even realize it. If I have learned anything lately, it is that I definitely need the accountability of a community, or even just one or two people. And I've learned how foolish I can be without that accountability. I am so weak and so absolutely retarded. Many times in this past week, I have found myself on my face before the Lord, crying out to Him in repentance for forgiveness, redemption, and that I could just be in His presence. I miss feeling close to Him. I know that He is near, I do, but I want so much to feel Him. I need His reassuring, comforting embrace that tells me that His grace has covered all my stupid mistakes; telling my that I am redeemed. He is my only defense against this world, against myself. 

   On Thursday I went on a little adventure to the Kia dealership with Kate, the girl who works at ICCP (the American church) and leads the college group. It was so great getting to know her a little bit. She has been such an encouragement to me, and I have only started hanging out with her over the past couple of days! After the dealership, we bought some soup, bread, and grapes, and had nice little lunch at the church office. As I am such a sucker for quality time and good conversation (aka fellowship!), this will have to take first place as the highlight of the week. I'm looking forward this developing friendship with Kate :) Yesterday evening (Friday), I spent near three hours with Kate and some other girls from IAU and church, learning how to do the Master Dance from the 2011 National Dance Day. As you probably already know, I am not the greatest of dancers, and learning an entire hip-hop dance in one night is not my specialty. But it was a blast! 
We are all going to learn this dance and do a flash mob somewhere in Aix, and maybe even bust it out in the clubs one night. Haha.
The dance crew: YAMers!

   Today I was supposed to go to La Ciotat with a small group of friends, but much like last Saturday, I woke up too late and missed the bus. I'm pretty disappointed because I really wanted to go! But the way I see, God wanted me home today. I was able to spend some time in His word when I got back from the bus station, and now I'm writing this blog which is well over due. I have lots of studying to do, and now I will be forced to actually do it because I have nothing else to take up my time. I got an email this morning from Dr. Bray saying that Haiti will not be a possibility this spring. I can't tell you how bummed I am! I don't think I've ever wanted something more. I have such a burning passion for that country, those people, and as time goes on, it only burns brighter and hotter. I can only conclude that this desire is from God. But if He has placed it in my heart, then why will He not allow me to go there?? I am frustrated and disappointed, and confused as to where I am supposed to go for my internship. I can't help but think about how I ended up going to New Mexico. I was planning on going to Haiti, but the summer trip got canceled, so I said I didn't care and put down Glorieta on my list of top picks. And looking back, I know that Glorieta was exactly where I needed to be that summer. Is this another New Mexico situation?? My heart is heavy, and my mind full and distracted. 

If faith can move the mountains, Let the mountains move. We come with expectation, Waiting here for You, Waiting here for You.. Your the Lord of creation, and still You know my heart. The Author of salvation, You've loved us from the start... Waiting here for you with our hands lifted high in praise. And it's You we adore, singing Alleluia... You are everything You've promise, Your faithfulness is true. And we're desperate for Your presence, All we need is You.. I will wait for You Lord!! 

   And so I start another week, praying for direction, guidance, and patience to wait for my Lord's timing. Praying to be bathed in His presence, resting at His feet. And continuing to pray for boldness, confidence, and strength to speak out His name and glory. He is sovereign and good, and He knows what He's doing. He knows what's in store for me, and His plan is much bigger and greater than mine. In that I must trust, I must rest. For now, I am here, in Aix-en-Provence, and here is where I am for the next two months. What will I do with this time that is given me??
But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (34)Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:33-34)
Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (29)Take My yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (30)For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

Peace and love!
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment